Welcome to the start of a new hockey season. As you are aware, the season will look differently in response to COVID-related safety measures.
HEO has released the Return to Play Guidelines. We are currently in HEO Stage 3a (pages 6 to 9 in the Guidelines – on-ice physical distancing, no body contact, skill development/drills, off-ice training permitted).
The following are highlights of what to expect as the hockey season starts. We will continue to provide updates as the season progresses and as new information becomes available.
START OF ICE SESSIONS
As in previous years, ice time for U7 (ages up to 6 years, previously IP) and U18 (ages 15 to 17 years, previously Midget) will begin in October. The monthly installment processed for U7 and U18 at the time of registration will be applied to October, thus, there will not be a payment processed on September 1st for U7 and U18 players. The next monthly payment will occur October 1st to apply towards the November session for U7 and U18 players.
All other age divisions will begin ice time in September, after September 8th.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Players are being placed in bubbles and will receive TeamSnap notices for ice time.
- Players will have two ice times per week.
- Player attendance and health check questions must be completed on teamsnap before the player participates in any hockey bubble activity. This is a mandatory practice in order to comply with health and safety standards, including the ability for contact tracing.
- Players must stay within their assigned bubble for hockey activity in order to be covered by Hockey Canada insurance (covered in base registration fee).
Please note that it is mandatory for all volunteers, including coaches and trainers, to take the COVID-19 training course that can be found on the HEO website here (see bottom of the page of this link and select sign up for the clinic title: *HU – Planning a Safe Return to Hockey)
The video is approximately 15 minutes and is automatically tracked. New volunteers will need to create a profile on the HEO site in order to record that they have viewed the video.
JERSEY AND EQUIPMENT RETURNS
Jersey and equipment returns will be scheduled after the Earl Armstrong Arena is reopened. Last year’s teams are asked to hold on to jersey and equipment for now. Once the Earl Armstrong Arena is opened, a message will be sent out with information regarding drop off arrangements.
AGE DIVISION NAME UPDATE
Please note that Hockey Canada updated age division names as follows. The BMHA will be using the new age division names going forward.
- U7 – under age 7 – thus 4 to 6 yr olds (previously Initiation Program – IP)
- U9 – under age 9 – thus 7 to 8 yr olds (previously Novice)
- U11 – under age 11 – thus 9 to 10 yr olds (previously Atom)
- U13 – under age 13 – thus 11 to 12 yr olds (previously Peewee)
- U15 – under age 15 – thus 13 to 14 yr olds (previously Bantam)
- U18 – under age 18 – thus 15 to 17 yr olds (previously Midget)
- U21 – under age 21 – thus 18 to 20 yr olds (previously Juvenile)